April 3, 2013

Yesterday, while at the nursery picking up annuals and perennials, I checked out the roses that Evergreen offered as well.  As I suspected, they no longer carry David Austin roses, but they do have a large selection of other roses.  I have been contemplating what to do with the south facing garden (the one where the chimney is).  Veggie garden, cutting garden?  I had almost settled on a veggie garden but decided, local in season veggies are so inexpensive, I'd rather have a beautiful cutting garden.  While DA roses are lovely to look at on the bush, they don't make the best cut flowers for arranging in a vase.  I personally think that although Hybrid Tea Roses are suitable for cut flower arrangement, they are unattractive as far as the plant goes and the flowers themselves are too modern looking for my taste.  The woman at Evergreen suggest I try Romantica roses (a Hybrid Tea with a more shrubby plant and old fashioned looking flowers).  The varieties she suggested I try are:  Yves Piaget, Classic Woman, Pink Traviata, Rouge Royale, and Michelangelo.  Sadly, I don't think I have room for all of the roses listed here.  Decisions, decisions. . .


Here are examples of each:

YVES PIAGET

CLASSIC WOMAN



 
Photo courtesy Regan Nursery
PINK TRAVIATA



Photo courtesy conard-pyle.com
 
 
ROUGE ROYALE
 

 
MICHELANGELO
 
 
Although the nursery didn't suggest this one below, I came across it online yesterday.  I'm going to call to see if they have it.  I really want it.  It's one of the most beautiful flowers I've ever seen.
 
EDEN CLIMBER (aka Pierre de Ronsard)

 
 Photo courtesy Abby